Thursday, April 28, 2011

DIY Wreath Project! Warning: I am putting more moss on things!!

I am happy to announce that my Moss Letter Door Hanger made it through several days of tornados, wind, rain, etc!  It looks as good as new!
After that project, I realized that my side door needed some love. I thought that since the moss project was so easy, I would try it again! I have wanted a rectangular wreath for a while now, but couldn't find one. This prompted me to make one myself...which is usually what I end up doing for every specific thing that I want.
First, I cut out a one day 50% off coupon to Michaels, and picked up a moss table runner.  It was $15, but only $7.50 with the coupon!  I then picked up a large sheet of floral foam from Hobby Lobby.
I cut the piece of foam in half (you can do this with a knife), and then traced out a wreath and cut out the middle. I apologize for not having pictures of this, but sometimes when I get going, I forget that you might want to know how I did it! This step was really easy though so you shouldn't have a problem.
I then covered it in the moss using the same technique that I used HERE.  So easy!
Next, I stole a scrap piece of wood from our work shop, whipped out my acrylic paint, and gave it a good coat of hot pink. I waited for that to dry, and went over it with thin coats of white, for a more antiqued look.
Next, I used a stencil that I already had, and some white acrylic paint, and stenciled that onto the center of the wood.  Once again, there are no pics of the actual process, but it's pretty self explanatory.
Below is what the wood piece looked like once complete! You could use any style of stencil, and I usually go for something a little less ornate, but this is what I had on-hand from THIS glass etching project.
I know the picture is not great, but I tried to show how I attached the wood to the wreath. I had two holes drilled in the wood, one on top and one on the bottom. I then went back to my box of ribbon, and looped a thick, white ribbon through the whole.
I knotted the bottom one right behind the wood, and the top ribbon right where the wreath would hang on a nail, since I am using the ribbon as the hanger as well.
Here is a view of what it looks like all put together from the back...it should give you a better idea of how I attached the ribbon. I also added a fun striped ribbon bow on the top to tie in the pink color on the wooden plate.
I just stuck a nail in the wood portion of my door, and stuck it through the ribbon knot! Here is my door, all spiffed up and not feeling left out now that it has its own personalized hanger!
PS, I went inside half-way through this photo shoot when I realized there was stuff all over my kitchen counters and you could see it through the pics.  Ha!
Here is a full-door view. This little area is so welcoming now and I love how it turned out! I just kind of planned the design as I went, and this is what I came up with. You wouldn't have to use a letter, you could mix it up with a bird/cross/anything you want really! This would also be great for baby showers with a rattle and some cute pink or blue ribbon, and for the holidays with red or gold with an ornament print!
I love how it turned out, but promise that I am done covering things in moss...for now! Hope you all have stayed safe during all of this scary weather!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...