Saturday, May 12, 2012

Guest Poster: Lauren from Inside My Present shares a fun DIY project!

I'm so excited about today's post because it is a part of Trading Blogs over at  Serendipity and Spice! Check out Inside My Present today to see my post as well!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Lauren (coincidence, I know!) and I write a little blog called Inside My Present. It's all about cooking, eating, home and garden and anything else I get myself into- truly a glimpse into my present! I am so happy to be appearing on such a chic blog as part of Trading Blogs- Lauren has already got me yearning to pick up a paint brush and hit the thrift store!

Today I'm going to share with you a craft with endless possibilities- beautiful fabric-covered picture frames. A great solution for your thrifty finds and those remnant fabrics, you can take any drab frame and customize it to match your decor or the theme of your photo. A custom frame also makes a great gift! This one is for my mother for Mother's Day- shh... don't tell!
This project started with this frame that just wasn't my style. I wanted to refinish it somehow to blend with mom's decor- paint wasn't an option on the frame's mosaic surface but fabric choices were endless.  I found a beautiful pewter fabric and some coordinating accents and got to work.

Unfortunately, you couldn't disassemble this particular frame so I used painter's tape to protect the glass before spraying the front of the frame with spray adhesive. The spray adhesive worked perfectly for this project- it didn't discolor the fabric or show any lumps or bumps below.
I used an exacto knife to cut out the fabric covering the glass, making sure the edges were adhered well,  and used fabric glue to glue the fabric to the back of the frame.
Depending on the look you want, you could be done at this step! If you have some fabrics you want to showcase, they would look great unadorned and perhaps grouped together on a table. Or you could use some fabric glue to add accents of a coordinating fabric. 
You can decorate your frame with anything your glue will stick to! Have some mementos from your latest vacation? Showcase them on your frame with a photo from the trip. Use your collection of old keys, buttons or broaches- anything! I decided to decorate mine with these pretty fabric flowers I had made and some ribbon- you can read how to make the flowers here
I have a ton of nicked up frames I'm looking forward to refinishing- I'm thinking a groups of burlap-covered frames would look great! 

I hope you have enjoyed reading- thanks to Lauren for trading places with me!



How cute and creative is this project?! I love it! Make sure to hop on over to Lauren's blog to see what else she has been up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...