Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Southern Living Project Follow-Up

Last month, I posted about my new goal to try one thing from my Southern Living every month. My first attempt at this was a Cool Season Herb Box. You can read about it HERE. This was a little more difficult than I thought, mainly because it has SNOWED in Memphis at least 3 times in the last few weeks! So, I had to wait until I thought all of that crazy weather was behind us.
First, I asked my husband to build a small herb box for my project. He went above and beyond the picture that I gave him from the magazine, so I have more of a medium-to-large herb box. This is what he made for me:

Next, I bought some herb seed packets and some potting soil.

I poured a decent amount of potting soil into the box and patted it down so that it was kind of firm. Then I used my finger to poke holes in the soil and poured seeds in each. I made sure that every hole was covered.

To make sure that I knew what was what, I made markers. I used plastic drink stir sticks, card stock, a marker, and tape. Really simple.


A close-up look at my markers.

Now I just have to cross my fingers that something will actually sprout up from those seeds that I planted! If anyone has any tips for growing them, feel free to share, as I am pretty clueless about this type of thing! This project was pretty easy, and you don't HAVE to have someone to build a box for you, you could just buy one. Just make sure to put holes in the bottom for drainage!
I will post updates once my herbs start growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...