Sunday, December 11, 2011

Easy Bench Makeover

My guest bedroom is constantly changing. I feel like my style is always evolving, and so I am always looking for easy and inexpensive ways to make changes to fit my style. The bench at the foot of the guest bed was looking a little tired, and I wanted more of a contrast. I had used left over silk fabric from the drapes to cover it originally. This bench used to be a square, brown, country-tastic coffee table with a glass middle. We cut the middle out to make it thinner and I used plywood, foam, batting, and material to make a cushion. We fused it back together in the middle. It was also painted and distressed a little.

Here is it before. 

And after. I picked up a yard of this premier fabric a few weeks earlier, and decided to use it in here. I just laid out the fabric and put the cushion on top to measure out how much I needed. Then I cut and stapled it to the the plywood all around. I did this right over the previous fabric. I am really digging coral right now and this was an easy way to put it in the room.
I had also loved this navy floral fabric on super-clearance at a local fabric store, so I got a couple of yards and just held onto it until I had the right project. I decided to turn it into pillow covers and I love how the coral in them is brought out by the bench fabric!
Here they are on the bed. They also have that silvery-blue that is throughout the room, so they go well with the Chevron covers that I sewed earlier this year. I decided to ditch the printed duvet (It is actually in the other guest bedroom now), and stick with the white on white. There have been a lot of changes in this room over the year, so I thought it would be fun to do one of those look at how much it has changed posts...
Here it is before we moved in. This pic never gets old!!! The wheel is out of control.
Here is is soon after moving in...floors needed re-finishing, and the brown and blue was cute but now looks SO dated!
Here is the bed earlier in the Spring. Those lamps ended up in my den and the shades are in a closet somewhere...pretty sure they still have plastic on them too. This is the duvet cover that is now in the other bedroom.
Here it is now! Some new artwork that I took from my bedroom at my parents, really nice black and gold lamps that someone was throwing out...so of course I took them (I added some Target shades), the floors have been re-finished (it's a little hard to tell), and a chenille rug that a friend was getting rid of. Oh, and the dog. He is such a camera hog. The funny thing is that I'm so used to him just following me around that I didn't even realize he was in the pic until I uploaded it! What a creeper.

The next change will probably involve new drapes. These were used in the apartment and weren't really purchased for the room, but they serve their purpose for now.

I hope you are inspired by how little changes can totally transform a room, and how you don't have to break the bank to do it!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...