Pages

▼

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Not crazy about your couch? Try some pillows!

The couch and chair in my den are nice but they are very dark and very leather. Great for a guy's room, but too much for me. How do I solve this problem? Pillows to neutralize all the "guyness" in the room are a good start.

To begin this project, I decided it was finally time to open the sewing machine that I have had for 3 years and have never touched. I have been really intimidated by it, but decided it was time to suck it up and teach myself how to sew.

So I opened up the manual, actually read everything I needed to know, and then churned out 3 new pillow covers in about 45 minutes! Why didn't I do this sooner?

For help, I found a great blog with step by step instructions on how to cover a pillow. It is basically creating a stylish pillow case for your pillow, so you can wash it/change it out as much as possible! Perfect for me!
The blog is called Cottage Magpie and I pretty much followed the instructions minus the fringe. Here are a few pics!
The side of one of my pillows...This is where the 2 pieces come together and where you insert the pillow.
My finished pillows with the other pillow I covered a couple of weeks ago.
My new (kind of) couch!
The finished product! I incorporated colors from the artwork that is around the room (sorry for the glare).
So for those of you intimidated by the whole sewing thing, if you take a few minutes to read the instructions, it is a breeze! Now I feel like I can make anything I want!!! And if you are not the sewing type but would like me to make you some pillows, let me know! I guarantee they will be less expensive than anything you can find in the stores!!

4 comments:

  1. I have always been intimidated & jealous of friends of mine that can sew. I think you've inspired me after reading this blog post to join the bandwagon:) I love how the pillows turned out & how it adds a fresh look to the entire room! ~Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica!
    I promise once you start you will want to sew everything! A friend's pictures on facebook of things she had sewn for her baby's room inspired me to do it! I'm so glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed! Great first sewing project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing!! Didn't know you were sooo creative!! You will have to get ahold of our house one day!!

    ReplyDelete